Thursday, February 4, 2010

On ESL Students and Learning Personality

Add Image

One of the things I enjoy most about teaching ESL online is engaging in interesting conversations with my students whether it’s something about their private lives or the Copenhagen environmental summit. These conversations reveal so much about their personalities that I find very useful in determining the most effective teaching method to make sure they’re learning our English lessons and at the same time enjoying it.

Experience has taught me to tune in better to their moods, sentiments, interests and their sources of joy. I found out that although there are standard textbooks to use, there is no generic method to make the ESL program achieve its fullest potential than by an individualized approach based on the learning personality of the student.

What is learning personality? It is defined as the combination of natural talent, personal interest, current opportunity, social environment, character, motivation and how the brain processes. All these factors can be useful in bringing out the student to engage in the discussion and stay motivated to focus and stick to the ESL classes.

A lot of students get bored when the topic is about grammar. The moment I utter “grammar” I can almost visualize their brain spelling out b-o-r-e-d-o-m. However, by using sample sentences about their favorite sport, or something related to their jobs, they become receptive and involved which makes it easier for them to learn.

But beyond the discovery of how to make the lessons effective, knowing my students, learning their personality and gaining their trust is the most rewarding of all. It makes teaching ESL online truly worthwhile.


~~ Daphne

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I'm a reader,a mother, a spirited watercolor painter, a coffee lover and a passionate learner of life, love and Web 2.0. For questions regarding ESL lessons, you can send an email to: english.notes311@gmail.com.